Bruce Sterling - Smart City States
Trending timeline of future city terms based on the number of books, journals & presentations in which they appear. (Source: Google Scholar)
Singapore - The Social Laboratory
Excellent longread by Shane Harris on protection of national security & engineering a more harmonious society via mass surveillance and big data.
Singapore was the perfect home for a centrally controlled, complex technological system designed to maintain national order. […] “In Singapore, people generally feel that if you’re not a criminal or an opponent of the government, you don’t have anything to worry about.”
Bruce Sterling - Smart City States
Birloki system is an urban space activator, an interactive outdoor piece of furniture, a smart adaptive interface between the city and the citizen. We developed the first of a family of elements that are alive in the city. They do not remain static, they interact, they can be customizable, they can be removed and changed, they breath with the rhythm of the city.
As mentioned before, here are some brief notes on bottom line of the PhD project I am writing. It is a mix of ideas and feeling I am encountering throughout the process and not a formal review, indeed. Even though, I hope these paragraphs still make sense and gives you a clearer perception (or helps me make the project understandable at this stage). It´s been a silent work for months and now that I am beginning to see the light, I find myself more comfortable sharing how it is progressing, but not to a point I start sharing chapter drafts. In this sense, as these last weeks have meant a rush in the writing process, I find the text still too raw and I need to go into details to clear up the mess, but not enough mess not to share these schematic indications of how the text is moving forward.
- The myth of operative efficiency
- The myth of sustainability
- The myth of simplification
- The myth of data neutrality
- The myth of depolitization
- The myth of technological sufficiency
- The myth of the intrinsic desirability
- The myth of system integration
Here is a brief list of books and articles I have been dealing with to complete the first stage of the PhD project on the technological imaginary in the discursive regime of the smart city. I am more than happy that these last few weeks have meant a substantial progress and the core framework is ready to go for deeper details. I will share here the basic structure I am working with, as an improved version of the six concepts underlying the smart cty discourse that served as a first step some months ago. Now this conceptual dissection is getting more solid with a better structured analysis on the implictions of this imaginary. In the meantime, this is a selected compilation of some of the readings that have been more helpful so far.
Some notes about my PhD project.
The Responsive City: Engaging Communities Through Data-Smart Governance, by Susan Crawford and Stephen Goldsmith.
SMART CITIES, URBAN MEDIA AND URBAN INTERACTION DESIGN
- Urban Interaction Design - Online Conversation
- Discursos emergentes para un nuevo urbanismo. Presentación de #Papers57, hoy en Barcelona y por streaming
- Urban interaction design: towards city making
- Ciudad y tecnología. Participación ciudadana en la sociedad conectada
- Cities in a smarter world
- Smart cities. Hacia un relato nuevo de la ciudad en la sociedad digital
- Smart cities. Análisis del discurso institucional predominante
- Smart cities. ¿Dónde estamos después de estos años?
- Discursos emergentes para un nuevo urbanismo (Papers 57)
- Smart cities. Inteligencia al servicio de las personas
- Intelligence at the service of people - New essay (Barcelona Metropolis)
ADAPTIVE URBANISM AND PUBLIC SPACES
- Taller: Urbanismo adaptativo. Prototipos de intervenciones urbanas
- Make_Shift City. Renegotiating the urban commons (book)
- Espacio Público y Participación Ciudadana (Santander, 30 de julio)
- Madrid Laboratorio Urbano
- Nuevas tecnologías y participación ciudadana, un nuevo contexto para la gestión de la ciudad (Santander, 23-24 de mayo)
- Conferencia y taller sobre la ciudad adaptable en Ciudad Sensible 2014
- International Conference on Digital Intelligence (Nantes): call for papers